Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unbound


APL's first song on Ancient Tune, 'Unbound', has all the signature APL characteristics: an opening recording of natural outdoor sounds, a very catchy beat after the spoken/sung intro, complex lyrics, layered background vocals and some unusual instrumentation.  As to the latter, I particularly like the (what we used to call back in my day) 'Moog synthesizer' sound halfway through the song.  I first remember hearing something like that when the British group Emerson, Lake and Palmer came to Thiel College for a concert.  The endings of their hit songs ('Lucky Man' and 'From the Beginning') typically had that wild synthesizer sound.  I still have those two songs as mp3s on my computer.

Mary Beth, Sarahbeth, and Adam in the Kitchen
The only instrument that Adam normally doesn't himself play on these recordings is the drums, for which he relies upon his friend Sam Huff.  How in the world he puts down all of these layers of instrumentation and vocals, one after the other, is beyond me.  Indeed, it is a complicated craft all in itself, separate and apart from the playing of each instrument or singing each part, let alone the original composition of the song. 

Like the weaving of fine cloth, it is.  Or cooking a delicious meal, perhaps. And definitely worthy of admiration and aural delight.

Lyrics:
A window is open wide
A Sunshine car tells me why he’s alive with his horn
He says he was born to wander dated streets
The same reason that created me
I guess we were bound to meet

I’m letting life take a page
I’ve learned that love is more than just building a cage for your hearts
But when you’re apart from that love you have
A set of shoulders and a sturdy back
Can’t keep you from feeling sad

I’ve strayed far away, so far away

And one day the sun won’t shine
He’ll say it’s cause he has not near enough time for himself
And when his wealth comes from that energy
He’s pumping out for you and me
He can well afford a day of sleep

I might be a man of dreams
I might search above all the practical things in life
Like a climber who’ll reach a peak
Knowing there’s nothing else to seek
I might come back down quite readily

I strayed far away, so far away

So I buried in them hills
A tin of gold with the requisite skills to life
And on a quiet night I burned the map
thinking there was no need for that
Cause my baby you know she’s got my back

Don’t walk away, I’ve got your back

I strayed far away, so far away
But I’ll come down unbound, unbound

I’m coming down, unbound

No comments:

Post a Comment