Thursday, March 24, 2011

Calais Tune, Chalet View



Some of you know that Adam lived from ages 11-19 in Highlands, NC, where I served the Methodist Church. He and Nathan were still in Middle School when we bought them their first instruments: Nathan an electric guitar and Adam a bass guitar.

Nathan wrote his first song about two weeks after getting the guitar, so we always thought that perhaps it was he who was going to be our 'young Lennon.' But it actually turned out to be Adam who became the professional composer/performer/producer in the family. Which is weird, because he was always going into the Air Force, until one day in high school he said he wanted to go into music instead.

Adam wrote and recorded, I don't know, maybe two dozens song that still aren't available online, including the infamous album The Best CD in the World that he and his cousin Tim Bailey wrote and recorded in the Highlands Parsonage basement, and sold around town on CDs they burned on our computer. Maybe, if he ever makes it bigtime, that album will become the subject of some serious scrutiny.

Anyway, the first true 'album' that he wrote and recorded was in 2007, and he called it AppleBlossom. Simply put, it blew his mother and I away the first time we heard it!  Adam's routine for his first three albums was to write and record the entire album before playing any of it for us, so that we have the same experience that you do upon listening to the album.

"Calais Tune, Chalet View" was inspired (I think anyway) by a trip to France Adam took in 2003, in order to visit his brother Nathan, who was studying at the University of Lund in Sweden. While in France, he saw a certain young lady, and, voilĂ , "Calais Tune, Chalet View" was born!

 (And one more thing: did you know that Adam recorded Appleblossom in his Wilmington apartment bedroom, using one microphone and his Apple computer? It boggles the mind, since it sounds like it was done in a fine recording studio.)
Feel this, with me
Hear this Calais tune, chalet view
Skillfully

I'll pour out the sky
The door is waiting for sunrise
Ten 'till four

Sure the sun waits, this I'm sure
Just the way your eyes create your allure

What change, I have made?
I had to lose to create
Ten 'till four

Sure the sun waits, this I'm sure
Just the way your eyes create your allure

I'll take you anywhere....
I'll take you everywhere...
I'll take you anywhere you care

Come on, Stay awake!
Stay through the changes we shall make
So much more

Sure the sun waits, this I'm sure
Just the way your eyes create your allure...

Sarahbeth adding a flute line to 'Best CD in the World'


No comments:

Post a Comment