Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Croakies




Adam has managed to produce an album a year for the past four years, plus a miscellany of other songs which, while very good, haven't found their way onto an album or online. In 2009, APL put together an EP (shorter than a full CD) of music which he entitled The Croakies that was quite different from his previous work.

Whereas his previous two Albums--Apple Blossom and Houses--had made immediate sense to me musically and conceptually, "Croakies" was initially a quite jarring experience, and I wasn't sure that I liked it--though that soon changed!  


Electronic and somewhat fantastical, his new musical foray demonstrated APL's ability to take his talents in a whole new direction.  Replacing computerized for his more typical acoustic instrumentation, APL also revved up his voice as well, using his higher ranges to good effect. And metaphorically, the title song of the album reminds me of an animated movie, where the animal characters tell a human story of hope for change for the better in the face of disaster.

Rumor has it that this song was being considered last year for a major motion picture, it's that good. It didn't make the final cut (or you might have heard it in the theatre, because the movie has been released), but that was obviously encouraging to us all!

Listen carefully to The Croakies: it's an upbeat song of hope for change in a troubled world.

Ps. The man on the album cover over is not Adam (for those who don't know him)!  He told me who it was one time, but I forget. It’s some Muslim Russian noble from a couple hundred years ago. What can I say, Adam liked it....

Lyrics:

Some trouble with my balance
Falling forward in the water, with the Croakies, in the water
And now my gills are revving up
for a quick swim in the water, with the croakies, in the water
ooooh so cold!
but it's feeling sweet and cool, recalibrated
and now i feel my feet turn into fins

The turtle talks to me with care
"these times they are 'a changing
these times they are 'a changing"
And Flion points his fins to where
the sunglow is appearing
the sunglow is appearing
Oooh it's so beautiful!
I'm feeling sweet and cool, recalibrated
Now I see these forces moving in.

Everyone's watching
Everyone's waiting
Everyone's dancing
Everyone's singing!
Li, Li,l-li Li

I might follow currents leading to warmer water
the colony may swim apart
But the stars will always shine in full
and the waves will always crash and grow
It will be so wonderful.

Everything....
Everything is coming into view
Sweet and cool recalibrated
Everything is coming into view....

No comments:

Post a Comment