Sunday, March 27, 2011

Crayon Colored



It's Sunday, so I'm going to post one of Adam's songs that deserves a Sabbath's consideration: 'Crayon Colored', from The Croakies album.  I dare say it is a song that most of you have never listened to.  But I'm going to tell you the story that will allow you to enter the very beating heart of this beautiful and most meaningful song.  So read on please, and in fact, why don't you wait to listen to the song until you read what I have to say.


Adam and Grandma Lindquist
 Let me begin by saying that Adam inherited at least part of his musical talent from his paternal grandmother, Evelyn Lindquist.  Mom played both piano and organ well enough to be one of the keyboardists at church for decades, and she forced me to take piano lessons as well (though I preferred the trumpet).  And when Adam began to show exceptional musical interest and ability, Mom was particularly pleased.

Mom died two years ago on January 2, 2009, in the house in which we had been raised in Erie, PA, where my brother Paul and his family were now living and caring for her.  We (all five of us for once) had just visited them for Christmas  and were on our way back to North Carolina, when my brother called to say Mom was dying, with just hours to live.  We turned back and drove six hours, reaching Mom about an hour before her death.  Paul said he felt she was waiting for us to get there.

Mom was lying there on her bed, barely conscious, and as we waited by her bedside, all nine of us, her breathing got slower and intermittent.  Please understand, I've been with many people as they have died in my job as pastor, but our kids had not, so it was a rare and difficult experience for them to be with anyone who is dying, let alone their grandmother.  At some point, Adam quietly left the bedroom and began to play the piano down the hall that Mom loved (and that I had played as a child), in what turned out to be a perfect accompaniment as Mom slipped away into eternity.

A few months later, Adam composed 'Crayon Colored'.  When I first heard it, I frankly couldn't believe my ears.  Though Adam has never actually explained it this way--in fact, he never interprets his songs to us--to me this song is a profound expression of the Ultimate Hope, of what happens to us when death comes and our souls rise to meet the Holy One.   I consider this song to be a wonderful benedictory gift from Adam to his grandmother.
From this humble bed, with the blue sheets over my head
I rise to meet you, holy one
Though I have left, I am not yet gone
I can hear crying

And I put my memories, a crayon colored book
On a screen of stars so that all can look
As I pass through the sun's gold rays
I can hear laughing, I can sense joy
I'm one with you

Grandma and APL at Brevellier Village, Erie, PA


From this humble bed, with the blue sheets over my head
I rise to meet you, fully one
Though I have left, I am not yet gone

And the years will drain like a cold water bath
And your arms reach for the warmth at last
Someone said when you breathed last
you should go.
I'm one with you.
Ps. When you've finished listening to the song, go back and click on the second picture, and look at my Mom's expression.  It's....heavenly.

1 comment:

  1. I have been listening to this all day...oh my goodness! Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete