Monday, March 28, 2011

If I...(Grandma Hedgie)




The Castle
 If there is one person in this family who has attained a near-mythological status, it would be Adam's maternal great-grandmother, Esther Wilkins Hedges Dean, or as everyone referred to her, 'Hedgie'.  When I was dating Mary Beth, way back in 1972, one of the first pilgrimages I made upon my first visit to her hometown was to 'the Castle', the home of Hedgie and her husband Tom, perched on a hill overlooking the valley on the way to Arkport.

Actually, I'm convinced that Hedgie was a hobbit, somehow mysteriously liberated from the mind of J. R. R. Tolkien.  And, believe me, the Castle was not a normal home, built for normal people.  Oh no, it was definitely built for (and by) hobbits, who are the size of Hedgie.  As a human, I hardly fit through the doorway or into the bathroom.  It was the Shire of Middle-earth, somehow transplanted to the outskirts of Hornell, New York

And just like a hobbit, Hedgie was not only smaller than humans, but she was also more innocent and wiser than we humans are.  Finally, she had a cherubic face that only a hobbit could have.  I'm not kidding.  I have many pictures that would prove this to you.

Adam, Dad, and Great Grandma Hedgie
Anyway, when Adam wanted an introduction to his song 'If I', on his Appleblossom album, who better to turn to than his great-grandmother Hedgie, because she was always saying or doing wise things.

Actually, knowing that Adam has some 'hobbit' blood in him, explains a lot.  (As does my wife...have you ever noticed that Mary Beth has no wrinkles on her face?  'That is no accident,' as they say.)

Lyrics:
Great Grandma Hedgie--"If a person, with all the things they learn in 82 years, could turn around and have another family, you know, that'd be quite an idea! I wonder if anyone worked it out. (Laugh...)  Maybe I'll have another chance!"  [Hedgie, I got your number...you're a hobbit!]

If I could buy a box of crayons
and tailor the world with my own hands
I'd draw you here with me
in red and blue-berry
If I could buy a box of crayons

If could sing a thousand songs
I'd sing them all for you so long
as you just realize
they're all written in your blue eyes
If I could sing a thousand songs

If I could live without regret
If I could pass that snare, jump that net
I promise I'd settle down
I promise a softer sound
If I could live without regret

If I could take you anywhere
To see secrets I've hid there
I'd take you deep inside
to where my spirit hides
If I could take you anywhere

Da da da da da....

If I could love a thousand times
with every love I think I'd find
It won't be put upon the shelf
cause love is life itself
If I could love a thousand times

Maybe in the end I'd see it's true
I would have spent all that love on you
If I could love a thousand times.

Da da da da da...

No comments:

Post a Comment